The benefits of buying a modular home or manufactured home
Whether you look at the economic or the environmental advantages, going with a modular or manufactured home has many benefits over the traditional stick-built home.
When you purchase a modular home, you can consider yourself green. Sure, this might not be your primary reason for going this route, but it surely doesn’t hurt.
- Less Site Disturbance – Homes built in a factory limit the amount of time and impact on the surrounding site. This also saves construction time. As the home is being built in the factory, the site can be prepared at the same time.
- Tightly sealed homes – Because the homes are built in a factory there is better access around electrical outlets, fixtures, pipes and other sources of air infiltration. Having that access in a factory allows better sealing to reduce air infiltration to prevent a loss of heat when the home is complete to reduce heating and cooling costs. Traditional two-by-four framing is often replaced with two-by-six framing in modular homes to increase the amount of insulation included in the home.
- Better indoor air quality – Many of the indoor air quality issues in new construction can be related to high moisture level in the building material. Because the building material is stored in a protective environment and not exposed to weather the moisture can be kept at a minimal level within the building material.
- Efficient Heating & Cooling – Because of their air-tight construction, the temperature of your house will be much more stable. You won’t have to worry about too much hot air escaping in the winter, or cool air escaping in the summer.
- Material Waste – In factory built homes materials are delivered to the manufacturing plant and are stored in a protected environment. Factories building homes consistently utilize leftover material from one project in additional projects in the factory.
- Energy Star – Because of their design, your home could be Energy Star Certified. Many manufactures are now designing their house in order to earn the blue Energy Star.
On Display! Clearance Sale, Sale Pending - Duncansville
One Only 62,138
On Display! Fayetteville
While some of the environmental advantages will help your pocketbook, they aren’t the only benefits.
- Built in a Factory – When a home is built in a factory, quality control allows for a more efficient building process that results in better quality product.
- Superior Quality – The team that is building your home is an experienced, specialized and closely supervised workforce. Because they are in a factory, they can use more sophisticated equipment. The fact that the factory is completely climate controlled means that the materials used to build your home are protected from the elements.
- Faster Construction – Because the manufacturer doesn’t have to worry about production backlog, your new home can be delivered within weeks after you finalize your plan. Not only does this save you money, it also reduces your stress.
- Cost Less – Modular home manufacturers are able to leverage the volume purchases of materials to decrease your costs. Because your home is built in a factory, the labor costs are lower, material isn’t lost due to inclement weather and much less chance of theft or vandalism of materials.
- Planning – Most, if not all, of the planning of your new home needs to be completed before any construction of your new home begins. This means fewer delays in your building due to construction and design changes.
Now that you understand the difference between a modular and manufactured home and what goes into the construction and installation of each, it time to decide which type is best for you.