Manufactured & Modular Homes Blog

Modular Home Insurance: What Policy Do You Need?

If you are looking to build a new modular home, you probably have a bunch of questions. One of the biggest questions is probably about insuring your new modular home.

Modular home insurance isn’t much different than insuring a stick-built house. In fact, you will probably get the same homeowners policy that you would with a traditional stick-built home.


Modular Home Insurance During Construction

Before you even move into your new home, you will be required to purchase some insurance when you begin the construction phase.

The insurance that the builder carries protects their interest and employees.  It is up to you to carry insurance that protects your home once it is installed on your property against things like fire, natural disaster, vandalism, etc.

To simplify, just remember that the builder’s insurance covers the builder and their employees.  If your home is on site, and you have paid for everything except the final completion, it is necessary that you have insurance on the home to protect your investment.

Modular Homeowners Policy

Unlike purchasing a mobile or manufactured home, the benefit of purchasing a modular home is that you don’t need to worry about a different type of insurance policy for your new home.

For insurance purposes, your modular home is treated just like a stick-built home because it is built to the same building code.  A Standard homeowners policy covers you for many incidents and accidents that can happen to your property, or to others on your property.

  • Your dwelling is covered for repairs or to rebuild your house due to a covered loss.
  • Structures separate from your house such as garages, sheds, etc. are covered.
  • Personal property can be reimbursed if it is damaged in your home by a covered loss.
  • You are covered for housing and living expenses if your home is unlivable during the restoration of a covered event.
  • Your assets and defense costs can be covered in the event of a lawsuit that resulted from someone being injured on your property.

This isn’t an exhaustive list, and there are usually optional coverages that you might want to include. You will need to talk with an insurance professional for more information.

We can’t provide you with specific insurance policy advice here at Blacks Home Sales, but if stop by any one of our locations or give us a call at 1-800-773-2835, we will be more than happy to help you get started.